Michelle Neill and the Island New Democrats First Party to Announce Their Platform for a Better Deal
Michelle Neill and the Island New Democrats are the first party to announce their platform and vision to Islanders. The plan announced today has 7 Key Commitments and is the NDP plan for a better deal for Islanders.
“Life is getting harder for everyday Islanders. Our health care system is on the brink of collapse; hospitals are understaffed and closing, and vital health services are at risk of being sold off to private companies,” says Neill. “Islanders are having a hard time making ends meet. With those skyrocketing costs, working people are feeling the stress, and many are facing impossible choices.”
“Things have gotten worse under Conservative and Liberal governments. Our health care system is broken, life is too expensive for Islanders, there’s a housing crisis, we need an economy that works for everyone, our schools are crumbling, health workers are burnt out, our planet is in trouble, and we need to make our communities stronger,” says Neill.
The Island New Democrat better deal includes 7 Key Commitments that will:
- Fix our health care system.
- Make life more affordable.
- Tackle the housing crisis.
- Create good jobs.
- Invest in our Kids.
- Address the Climate Emergency
- Make our communities Stronger.
By Electing New Democrats on April 3rd, we can make life better for Islanders we will be able to:
• Stop ER and hospital closures by recruiting, training, and retaining health care workers.
• Stop the privatization of our health care system.
• Implement a Caregivers Benefit
• Increase minimum wage immediately, with a path to a livable wage.
• Build more publicly run long-term care homes and increase home care supports.
• Double the Home Heating Program benefit.
• Provide free universal, public, and accessible childcare for Island families.
• Eliminate community college fees and freeze university tuition.
• Fix the “Residential Tenancy Act” to better protect renters and build thousands of new affordable and accessible homes.
• Complete the installation of an Island-wide fibre high speed network and eliminate cell phone dead zones.
• Help island teachers by investing in staff and resource supports for the classroom.
• Create new climate change targets and a robust energy efficiency program.
• Take concrete steps toward electoral reform, and
• Renew our commitment to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the United Nations’ International Human Rights declarations.
“If we want a better future, we have to make different choices. Islanders deserve a better deal, and New Democrats are prepared to fight for you and deliver it,” says Neill. “These are just some of the ideas that New Democrats are bringing forward in this election and I look forward to telling Islanders more about our better deal.”
– 30 –
Contact: Mat Whynott
Support Island New Democrats
As the true progressive party representing Islanders from tip to tip, we rely on your support to stand up for policies that matter to Prince Edward Island. Health, education, agriculture, environmental, women's, BIPOC and SOGI issues need New Democratic voices in the legislature.
Please donate below to support that fight
Tax credit on contributions
You can claim a tax credit on contributions made to recognized Prince Edward Island political parties, and to candidates who were officially nominated under the Elections Act of Prince Edward Island. The annual maximum credit is $500 and is calculated as follows:
- First $100 contributed - 75%
- Next $450 contributed - 50%
- Next $600 contributed - 33 1/3%