Islanders Need Help Now from King Government
People are still hurting from the devastating effects from Hurricane Fiona. While the storm has been an unprecedented event and the efforts by all those working to restore power is immensely appreciated, tens of thousands of Islanders have yet to be re-connected almost a week since Fiona struck.
“People need help now, every household in this province is throwing out hundreds of dollars’ worth of food and the answer from the King government is to figure out on their own whether or not they qualify through various programs,” says Neill. “The last thing people need right now is trying to determine whether or not they’re eligible, IF they even have online internet access.”
Island New Democrats are calling on support for every household that lost power for more than 48 hours to receive direct help of $250 for loss of food. Furthermore, we call for additional supports similar to the ones announced by the Nova Scotia government, which include:
- $250 for every person that has to pay for tree or debris removal from their property;
- More money to all current income assistance and disability supports recipients;
- $1,000 per household in emergency funding for people ordered out of their homes or who cannot return to their homes;
- Support for community centres with the purchase and installation of generators; and
- Direct increased financial support to food banks and other shelters.
“Islanders have stepped up to help each other; now it’s time for King’s government to step up in a more significant way.” says Neill. “People should receive simple and direct help; the support we are calling for will deliver that.”
Island New Democrats will always fight for the issues that matter to everyday people. We will fight to fix health care, make life more affordable, and address the housing crisis.
Michelle Neill, Leader
Island New Democrats
Support Island New Democrats
As the true progressive party representing Islanders from tip to tip, we rely on your support to stand up for policies that matter to Prince Edward Island. Health, education, agriculture, environmental, women's, BIPOC and SOGI issues need New Democratic voices in the legislature.
Please donate below to support that fight
Tax credit on contributions
You can claim a tax credit on contributions made to recognized Prince Edward Island political parties, and to candidates who were officially nominated under the Elections Act of Prince Edward Island. The annual maximum credit is $500 and is calculated as follows:
- First $100 contributed - 75%
- Next $450 contributed - 50%
- Next $600 contributed - 33 1/3%