Our statement on the future of childcare services on PEI
Prince Edward Island needs a publicly operated and managed childcare system. Families have been struggling with lack of local access, unaffordability and haphazard standards and programming in childcare services for too long.
PEI is receiving $121.3 million from Ottawa to develop our childcare system, to be used predominantly to support not-for-profit public early learning childcare providers/operations as well as family home childcare.
There are no signs that the King government is taking the steps necessary to support our communities to lead and participate in the creation of non-profit childcare services. These services will not magically “pop up” in our underserved regions unless resources and funding are invested in the growth of non-profit cooperative organizations. This new funding gives us a wonderful opportunity to further improve our system.
Here’s how the NDP PEI sees this happening:
- Create a government division mandated to develop community capacity to build non-profit or public childcare services.
- Increase childcare services including early learning centres in communities which are currently under served.
- Support Indigenous off-reserve communities to create their own childcare services and early learning centres.
- Improve the quality of family home childcare services and provide supports and benefits for in home providers.
- Develop province-wide before and after school care programs.
- Ensure families have access to extended hours childcare.
- Develop workplace childcare services.
- Increase the wages of childcare workers.
- Invest in Public Transit, an essential service for many families.
New federal funding gives us a great opportunity to improve and build on our system and continue to be a leader in childcare services in Canada.
Phone: 902 892-1930
Support Island New Democrats
As the true progressive party representing Islanders from tip to tip, we rely on your support to stand up for policies that matter to Prince Edward Island. Health, education, agriculture, environmental, women's, BIPOC and SOGI issues need New Democratic voices in the legislature.
Please donate below to support that fight
Tax credit on contributions
You can claim a tax credit on contributions made to recognized Prince Edward Island political parties, and to candidates who were officially nominated under the Elections Act of Prince Edward Island. The annual maximum credit is $500 and is calculated as follows:
- First $100 contributed - 75%
- Next $450 contributed - 50%
- Next $600 contributed - 33 1/3%