Island New Democrats in Good Shape at AGM: Neill
Island New Democrats held their Annual Convention at Beaconsfield Carriage House in Charlottetown, on Sunday afternoon, November 12, 2022.
Following awards, resolutions and other reports, Michelle Neill, Party Leader since April 2022, reported on the Party’s successes and challenges. “Given the gains during Election 2023, with a great platform, a full slate of candidates, new volunteers, and a raised profile, Island New Democrats are on a growth trajectory. We will continue to speak to the concerns of Islanders, and prepare for future electoral opportunities,” articulated Ms. Neill.
Among the resolutions approved by Convention, New Democrats affirmed support for tenants, calling for an extension of the moratorium on renovictions which expired on November 1, 2023, as well as consideration of tenants’ wages and incomes in the determination of annual rent increase guidelines.
Constitutional amendments were approved to facilitate communication with the Federal Party, and the Island’s Labour Movement, as well as ensuring 2SLGBTQIA+ representation on the Party’s Provincial Council. An emergency resolution called for a ceasefire in the Israeli-Gaza conflict.
Leo Cheverie, a long-time Party activist who recently passed, was honoured with the establishment of the Leo Cheverie Labour and Advocacy Award which will be granted to an outstanding member at each future Annual Convention.
Michelle Neill, after receiving overwhelming support in the required Leadership review vote, thanked delegates for their support, and welcomed newly elected Executive Officers (see addendum).
Michelle Neill, Leader
Island New Democrats
Volunteer / advocacy awards
- Edith Perry Volunteer Award: Jason Alward
- Environmental Advocacy Award: Leo Broderick
Executive Officers (newly elected AGM 2023)
- President: Dr. Herb Dickieson (two year term)
- 1st Vice President: Leah Jane Hayward (one year term)
- 2nd Vice President: Debi Buell (two year term)
- Membership Secretary: Michelle Hodgson (one year term)
- Treasurer: Dr. Douglas Dahn (two year term)
Executive Members continuing to serve
- Leader: Michelle Neill
- Past President: Lori MacKay
- Recording Secretary: JoeAnne Callaghan
- Federal Representative: Carol Rybinski
- Labour Representative: Carl Pursey
- Women’s Rep: Marian White
- Youth Representative: Aidin Mousavian
- (East, Central, and West Regional Executive Reps to be elected at the next Council meeting.)
Support Island New Democrats
As the true progressive party representing Islanders from tip to tip, we rely on your support to stand up for policies that matter to Prince Edward Island. Health, education, agriculture, environmental, women's, BIPOC and SOGI issues need New Democratic voices in the legislature.
Please donate below to support that fight
Tax credit on contributions
You can claim a tax credit on contributions made to recognized Prince Edward Island political parties, and to candidates who were officially nominated under the Elections Act of Prince Edward Island. The annual maximum credit is $500 and is calculated as follows:
- First $100 contributed - 75%
- Next $450 contributed - 50%
- Next $600 contributed - 33 1/3%